In memory of Finland’s greatest woman photographer.
Claire Aho, 1925-2015, was born into one of Finland’s greatest cultural and artistic dynasties. Given her first camera at the age of 10, she was a trailblazer in many ways – as a woman working as a commercial photographer from the late 1940s at a time when almost no women were working in this field, in her use of colour photography and in her unique photographic blend of style, wit and vitality.
The Claire Aho Award for Women Photographers is intended to both celebrate and encourage women photographers of every age, from 18 to 90. Entrants may be amateur or professional. Work submitted may show food and how it touches our lives in any setting, from studio shots to reportage.
We invite women photographers around the world to submit images to this special Award and Jussi Brofeldt, Claire Aho’s son and Chairman of the Aho & Soldan Photo and Film Foundation, Helsinki, Finland, will join the distinguished Judging Panel to be part of the judging process.
The winner of the Claire Aho Award for Women Photographers in association with Visit Finland will win a Visit Finland package including hotel accommodation in Helsinki with return flights. Full terms below:
- The prize includes a hotel accommodation voucher for the winner of the Claire Aho Award for Women Photographers in association with Visit Finland, plus a guest. This voucher will include three nights in Scandic Grand Central Helsinki or equivalent 4* hotel in a double/twin room including breakfast. (Approx. value €600). Hotel name to be confirmed in January 2022 and this is subject to change based on availability at the hotel.
- The prize also includes a Finnair voucher in euros which will be equivalent to two return economy tickets for London-Helsinki-London (Approx. value of €800). Flights are subject to availability and may exclude travel over bank holidays and key holiday periods such as Christmas.
- The winner of the prize will need to communicate and book directly with Finnair and the hotel; Visit Finland is unable to book flights and the hotel directly. The hotel and Finnair flights are non-reimbursable, non-transferable.
- The prize winner is responsible for all ground transfers.
- The prize winner is responsible for any and all taxes on the prize in the recipient’s country.
- Visit Finland will provide a letter for the prize winner with details on how to book their trip, following the awards event in April 2022.
- The prize is valid for travel until 31 October 2022.
- The prize winner must book their hotel stay at least 30 days before departure.
Gallery of previous Finalists